Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Journey to Thirty #2 - Realization: Rewards

When I was growing up both of my parents had financially rewarding careers, and because of that, they wanted to give me everything! I didn't have to earn much. Don't get me wrong, I was a good kid. I never got in any trouble, and in a way, I was always proving myself worthy of what I received. That, and I was spoiled to the max!
When I ventured out in to adulthood, I kept that life style. I damn near ruined my credit. I bought what I wanted, and when I wanted it. I didn't take in mind that my income was less than 1/3 of one of my parents. Plus those household bills I now had, neither of them was using their single income to cover ALL of them like I was. They had developed a plan. They had established a savings. They were making sacrifices. I didn't do any of those things.
Obviously, this has been a hard lesson. Now, I was force fed sacrifice around 24. Motherhood and sacrifice were like a buy one get one free, but the others are a constant work in progress. I'm working hard and heavy on weight loss, and one of the gazillion websites I visit, for motivation and guidance, recently ran an article all about rewards. Eureka! So I should shop, not because I see something pretty, but because I reached a goal. It's called a reward? It translates into everything?
So now, I have a plan. My plan is only new clothes in new SMALLER sizes and exciting trips with a reasonable a budget. I'm working to lose some weight. Why am I investing money in clothes that, if all goes as planned, won't even fit in time for me to get my money's worth? And, once I've put money aside only then will I go on an exciting vacation. No more quick weekend getaways just because. I'm not going to keep wasting my time and money on mini vacations that aren't even worthy of picture taking. If I'd put together the money spent on a few of those, I could board a plane to somewhere fabulous! And, I can force myself to eat like a rabbit if I'm saving calories and money for a few Tex-Mex treats once a goal has been reached. Well maybe a carnivorous rabbit.
Who would have thought this reward thing could be so appealing?

No comments:

Post a Comment