Thursday, April 2, 2009

DIVA?

The term DIVA was originally used to describe a woman of rare outstanding talent. The term derives from an ancient Italian word meaning "goddess," Which in turn, derives from the feminine form of a Latin word divus, meaning "divine one."

Thank you Facebook friend, life friend, for this definition.

This all started in a Beyonce song bash, "Diva is the female version of a hustla...of a of a hustla...of a of a hustla." No, it's not. It's really really not. I don't care for this song, nor did my friend, because this word has far more class than a broken noun like "hustla." It's not attractive in my eyes to be just some hustla. Diva is not something I've been aspiring to be either, but would much rather be called. I want to be a business woman or a mogul. Yeah, mogul. I mean after it is earned of course.

I just think it's time for us to stop revamping words and changing their definitions. It's time to stop making the words easier and start trying harder. I know some "hustla's." They are the norm in their environments. They are not thinking or doing anything outside the box. They don't embody excellence. They seem slightly better than average, at most. Then I also know business women, community leaders, entrepreneurs, role models, and volunteers that I would call DIVA! It's not about being the flashiest or the most fab. It's about taking who you are and making everything around you better with it. It's about locating your talents and making a change with them not because it amplifies who you are, but because it amplifies your surroundings and those who surround you. Divine one.

No comments:

Post a Comment