Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What a difference 10 years makes!


I'm quickly approaching my 10 year reunion. It always seemed so far off. It always seemed like I had plenty of time. It's here, and it came incredibly fast. I have mixed emotions about my reunion. I mean at the end of the day these aren't all people I was giddy about. This wasn't a group of people I really felt I belonged to. I remember being apprehensive as every year passed, wondering how I'd feel about being stuck with just my class.

They are an amazing and accomplished group of people. People who have gone on to do drastically different things. Everyone seems happy and settled. Congrats. But, I just didn't feel like I belonged in their group. Maybe it's because I was one of the only 4 or 5 black students in this class? Maybe it was because most of the things I did during my K-12, I was the first black student to ever do. That's something I just don't want to revisit. I don't want to be odd or a token. I think I just want this reunion to hurry and come so it can hurry and go. I think I just want to ignore its existence much like I ignored the first round.

Also, I think I am just hitting my stride. I am now making major decisions and seeing major progress. I don't want to define myself by the last 10 years. I want to define myself over the next 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment